Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A grim place

I've just finished two days of jury duty in Riverhead. I was grilled and processed but ultimately not chosen. They chose 6 out of a pool of about 150 to complete a jury for this criminal case and it took two whole days.It's quite interesting to see how the system works, and courts are necessary, but the overall effect is depressing--so many sad stories, so much violent behavior brought to task, such stern surroundings, bars, security checks, windowless jury rooms, bright people making their living on other people's crime. Give me a library to work in and a forest to walk in and I'll happily do without the courthouse and all its troubles.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I have only received 3 jury duty notices and have never had to go to court. I spent the better part of a year and a half in a court getting my divorce 11 years ago and it was pretty bad when the guards at the door knew my name. I don't ever want to have that experience again. So I can completely agree with you on this one.

One of the cases being tried when I was there was a police man that shot a guy, boy that family was nuts and I was afraid to be there, and the news cameras were all over the place outside.

Priscilla said...

I'm glad to have my jury duty over for 6 years because there's a nasty case coming up, the Medford pharmacy shooting with 4 dead,and I don't want to be on that jury!