Friday, April 3, 2009

Labyrinth

Have you ever walked around a labyrinth? They are supposed to promote spiritual reflection and healing. This one lies within Avalon Park in Stony Brook and there is a pit in the middle where children love to hide. The fragmented figure on the boulder is a strong evocation of human striving. (I have to admit I did not take this picture. It is from the Park's website.) The labyrinth is just a few feet away from the spot where I took these autumn pictures.

There is an interesting article in Wikipedia on the Labyrinth in mythology and history.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I've seen labyrinths in gardens before, love the concept...heard they attract Minotaurs though. Temperamental beasties they are!

Biddie said...

I've only seen them in magazines - I'd love to eventually build one over at Possum Hollow - I sure hope that I don't have any problems with Minotaurs - good grief
!!