Saturday, April 25, 2009

Cherry Blossom Festival





First, at noon, we were treated to a performance by these enthusiastic student drummers, the Taiko Drums--and many were girls-- and then invited into the Wang Center to enjoy the festival





The Wang Center ar SUNY hosted this lovely event today to welcome spring. Drummers drummed, blossoms blossomed, silks rippled, and bonsai quietly showed off. There were theater performances, traditional candies, people in colorful clothing, head massaging tables of pottery, and much more. Here are some pix



Bonsai (too dark for good pix)



This garden (which is always here) with all its bamboo and levels and pool is an integral part of the building.



Nice place to have a bag lunch

Colorful kimonos

Some worn with panache


This is Horsehair design, very delicate


Wonderful simple pottery
For a 10-minute video click here and scroll down.

4 comments:

Biddie said...

I love the idea of a festival to welcome spring. The drumming performance must have been awesome - I can just feel the waves of sound hitting my chest.

I hadn't seen the horsehair pottery before - I found myself studying it - fascinating - it almost seems to have some kind of "glow" and an unusual depth to the surface.

Cheryl said...

I too found my eye drawn to the horsehair pottery, how beautiful!

I wish we had festivals like this near us.

Priscilla said...

The pottery was the mowt interesting part, aside from the drumming which was unexpected and exciting.

Cheryl said...

While some parents (and neighbors) might have cringed, I loved it when my son would play his drums. The sound would resonate across the yard fired by all his youth and exuberance. I'd be so happy feeling the rhythms while I worked in the garden.

I miss it :)