Monday, June 29, 2009

Prickly pear

Along Trustees Road I saw them everywhere yesterday, these desert plants growing in the sand underneath beach plums, bayberry, bittersweet, oak trees, Virginia creeper, poison ivy, goldenrod ... or colonies of them out in the open filling empty spaces. This is their blooming time. Don't miss it.



There seem to be more every year. They flourish without the cottages.

With asters, cedar and beach grass



Is that a red leaf already?

They like a water view as well as we do.




(I think I took too many pictures.)


Last one.

4 comments:

Biddie said...

(( grin )) it's never a matter of too many pictures - the problem is sorting through them to find the best ones to put up on the blog. Sometimes it takes me forever to pick a few that best show something for the topic at hand.

What a nice place to walk - nice views (is that a fresh or salt water pond?) and artesian wells!

Those prickly pears grow here also - there's a lot of sand in this area too. I have 3 patches that I let do their thing - all the others I dig up. Curiously enough, the ones here haven't bloomed yet.

Priscilla said...

Or maybe yours bloomed and you missed it, as you are ahead of our season by several weeks.

Biddie said...

That thought was in the back of my head as I was writing the above comment.

This morning I took a walk out to the patch to check if there was any evidence of spent blooms. None at all!

A few of the "pears" had new buds growing on the top but they were too small to be able to tell if they were new "pears" -or- flower buds. I'll keep an eye on them. You have me really curious now.

I wonder if maybe they are a slightly different type of prickly pear or maybe the different climate here has them flowering later in the season.

Priscilla said...

Yes, possible to both those ideas.