Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ragged horse chestnut

What is it with the horse chestnut trees? The leaves look all burned up and diseased at this time of the year. Is this natural? Or is this the result of the Horse Chestnut Leaf Miner (Cameraria ohridella)? I've noticed this phenomenon for years but the affected trees survive. Even if natural it is not a welcome sight.



While other trees are still green and hearty we are given a foretaste of fall from Æsculus hippocastanum.

I prefer to remember it flaunting the spring candelabra of blossoms.

1 comment:

Biddie said...

I don't know if there is a problem with the horse chestnut or not - I hope not - but it is a sort of startlement to see brown leaves on the lawn already. I've become so accustomed to the longer summers down here that I have lost that "instinct" for the changing of the northern seasons.