Monday, November 23, 2009

Alas, a forest slated for destruction





Stony Brook University has announced plans to build a Hilton Hotel on the campus. Of all the spots they could choose (and there are several good alternate locations) they decided to destroy the eleven acres of mature woodland at the main entrance. I join my voice with the many whose alarm is flooding the new President and the local newspaper with letters. The Stony Brook Environmental Conservancy is very active in this campaign. Here are some of the letters to the newspaper (They start with the 6th letter down):

Newsday article

Letter to The Statesman
Another

6 comments:

Kristen said...

have you heard that song, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot? Sad, I don't like to see stuff like this. makes me wonder in 50 years will there be any woods left on this world of ours.

Anonymous said...

incredibly sad.

is there any chance of it not going through, or is this a done deal?

Priscilla said...

I wish I knew! I've been getting my info from the Stony Brook Environmntal Conservancy. You can go to their website and get on their mailing list: http://sbec.gushi.org/

Priscilla said...

Kristen, Your part of the world may have the last real forests.

Biddie said...

What a shame! They were probably wanting to locate the hotel in a highly visible place with direct access from the main road. I hope your conservation group prevails - all the woodland critters that had their homes in those woods will be driven out, homeless and foodless.

I saw that happen here - a rich doctor bought some acreage near me that had a mixed stand of mature trees on it. He had it clear-cut which chased all the animals out of the area resulting over the next several days with dead foxes, raccoons, possums and an armadillo on the 2 roads surrounding the area - it made me very upset and very annoyed at that doctor .....

dianasfaria.com said...

this is sad, maybe it won't go through.