Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fourth of July Parade in Port Jefferson

Waiting for the parade to begin, people enjoying the empty street.


What's that I see? Heap big parade coming down Main Street!


Must have been a thousand people of all ages taking part in the parade and hundreds of spectators. Weather was perfect (We deserve it).




Fire equipment came from Port Jefferson, Terryville, Setauket, Stony Brook, Mt. Sinai, Miller Place, Rocky Point, Selden, Centereach, Ronkonkoma, Brentwood, and maybe a few more places. Veterans of all the services marched. What a show!


Bagpipes


Two nice clowns gave out flags and flag stickers






The Mayor and Trustees


The older fire equipment had character


Another bagpipe band


A monster truck or two


Old cars showed up, including a herd of Mustangs and Shelbies.


Dancing actors from Theatre Three

And why not tractors?


There was even a group of marchers from Ansonia, CT, who know's why, but my camera's batteries were kaput by then. Quite a parade!

3 comments:

Biddie said...

(( chuckling )) kaput camera batteries, eh? I've been hit by that also! Another grimlin that has gotten me is a full media card in my camera ....

Loved your town's parade - with the exception of the beautiful old houses and the acting troupe (that would have been a little far out for this area), it could have been a parade through my local town. I love the old tractors.

Actually, I'm going to mention to the parade committee about extending an invitation to one of the theatre groups from down in Panama City for the next parade. Good idea!

Cheryl said...

There is something so heartwarming about a small town parade. Maybe it's because they are reminiscent of simpler times?

Whatever the reason, I do love a parade :)

Kristen said...

I love parades too, ours up here was so crowded I had a really hard time getting pictures, yours came out great !!