Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Little birds


Tiny birds ("peeps") scurry up and down the water's edge finding their food. I tried to show the contrast in size between the gulls and the peeps, especially with the Greater Black-backed Gull (middle picture). The Least Sandpiper, Calidris minutilla, is the smallest shorebird in the world. That's what I thought they were at first. However these may have been Semipalmated Sandpipers, Calidris pusilla, which are similar but (says the book) have more gray on the back, are less marked on the chest, and have black legs. These seemed to have black legs and white chests. I didn't have binoculars with me, so couldn't be sure. They may have been on their way to South America.

1 comment:

Biddie said...

Back in TX, I had to ride the ferry from home to Galveston every day to get to work. The rancous Laughing Gulls were everywhere. I loved watching them - they would hitch rides on the top of the ferry between the two ports -or- ride the air waves all the way across without having to beat their wings.

Every once in a while, the much larger Atlantic Gull would check in ....