Wednesday, March 11, 2009

No Hunting

You wouldn't think a No Hunting sign would be necessary in suburbia, but it is. Private property extends right to the water line even if a road separates the front lawn from this patch of land on the Cove. Hunters apparently disregard this. Last year on a Sunday afternoon in January I heard shots coming from this area--I was birding on Shore Road not too far from here--and every duck, swan and goose in Setauket Harbor took off in fright. Someone told me this was legal in hunting season. I was astounded. In suburbia? This owner is making sure there is no confusion about it.
(I happened to be at Port Jefferson Harbor an hour after the shots and saw a small boat come in with three men in camouflage clothing with a sure-nuff hunting dog and the putt-putt boat was covered in straw. Macho men.)

4 comments:

dianasfaria.com said...

oh my gosh! I had no idea this stuff goes on here!

Kristen said...

You can't hunt on a Sunday in CT, they (the DEP) were just trying to change that law because it would give hunters more time to hunt and the wildlife population is getting out of control, the tree huggers were in an uproar because Sunday is the only day you can take a walk in the woods and not worry about a hunter shooting you by mistake. I can't say I agree with either side.

Priscilla said...

That's interesting. You have the reverse problem, too much wildlife. I wouldn't like to walk in the woods when it was open season. We have too many deer in some areas but they are too built up to allow hunting. I heard bears were being culled in NJ last year.

Biddie said...

Here in this area, perhaps still rather unpopulated by comparison, there is a mentallity that hunters reign supreme during the long hunting season - I simply stay out of the back area of Possum Hollow - I'm always worried about my cows because they like to stay at the back of the property except for when they come to the front for their grain and hay rations. No wildlife excess here ....